Friday, April 01, 2011

April Fool's

Today, the first of April, marks April's Fools and  today, on April Fool's, we are in the midst of a snow storm.

This snow storm, at one time, was predicted to dump a foot of snow on all of us spring-obsessed mountain dwellers here in the Green Mountain state. Now that it is here, a mere 4 to 6 inches has made its way to the ground, perfect for some springtime skiing or as one friend put it, "enough to make me sit in the house and cry".

Cry not sweet friend, for today is also the first day of National Poetry Month!!

I look forward to this month every year -- the same way a cat waits in anticipation for a mouse to scurry along the wall. Wait for it.

Wait. For. It.
Pounce!
Purr....

A whole month that celebrates poems! Written, spoken, illustrated in countless ways! It's such a wonderfully contemplative way to spend mud season, that once it arrives, my brain twitches with all the things I've wanted to express and hope to experience through the eyes, mind and words of others.

Because I read poetry with only an innate understanding of rhythm, rhyme and lyrical prose, I do not pretend to have an understanding of good versus bad poetry. Or good versus great poetry. Yet when I read something I like, it stays with me a long, long time. It makes me think, laugh, sometimes it has made me cry. I've read poems that leave a warmth inside me the way hot tea on a cold day, tracks heat from my mouth to my belly. It's delicious.

So, in honor of national poetry month and snow on the first of April, a haiku for you.


The snow falls quickly

Red-winged blackbirds fall silent

The fools of April


No comments: