Sunday, April 17, 2011

20 Days Later...

...and I am still practicing my poses two or three times a week. Slowly, quietly, I'm getting better.

Bending. Stretching. Breathing.

Each pose is a challenge, dampening my enthusiasm. Every pop and click and ache, reminds me that I'm getting older.

Touching. Pulling. Breathing.

I feel the frustration of not touching my heels to the floor when I push up into Downward Dog. A sharp pain through my abdomen causes me to retract from a hip opening pose, whose name I've forgotten. I hesitate before bringing down my knee and sitting in Pigeon. I take a deep breathe and try to relax.

Standing. Sitting. Resting.

I stand on the edge of my old, blue mat, my hands at my side, conscious of my posture. Looking out my window to the expanse of brown and green grass before me, I remember to breathe.  I take in the light, the clouds, the dead leaves in my garden. I look inward, humbled by my smallness and my limitations.

The past few months have been hard and it's been a lesson in patience, easing back into yoga. It's also been a lesson in forgiveness. I sink into a seated position, close my eyes, allowing the music from the radio to fill my mind.

No comments: