Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Yoga Challenge - Day 3

After a sleepless night, I started the day late, rushing around waking kids, making breakfast and lunches, coaxing the littlest out of wearing her bunny ears to school and the oldest to brush her hair. Meanwhile the middle one lay on the floor playing with legos instead of putting on his shoes. Two hours later, with the breakfast dishes still scattered on the counter, I was on the way to Hardwick, sans a shower and wearing a semi-clean outfit. With my knees expertly handling the steering wheel, I gulped down a yogurt and reviewed notes for a potentially important funder meeting.

Needless to say, I did not get to my practice this morning.

Fifteen hours later, after a full day's work, dinner with friends, homework and bedtime with the kids, I sank into the couch, eyeballing my mat with some resentment. It leaned against the wall, ready for me, while all I wanted to do was pour myself a stiff whisky and surf the internet.

After a quick phone call to a friend and a couple of emails, I again tried to talk myself out of the practice. I was tired. I was stiff from the last practice. I was planning to get up early for a run. I really wanted that whisky.

Then, before I could think too much, I pulled on my pajama bottoms, unrolled my mat, stood gently at the edge and took a deep breath in to my belly.

No comments: