Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Finally...

Finally, spring is truly here.

The temperatures are rising, hovering at 65, sometimes more. Skin is being exposed at alarming speed. I hardly recognize friends and neighbors as men shave their beards and women don tank tops. Even the dogs are shedding tremendous amounts of fur, looking all the world like half-blown dandelion blossoms, with soft tufts of fuzz gathered in awkward places.

There is talk of fishing, boat rides, summer camps and potlucks on the lawn. The maples have budded, the grass is growing by inches every day, the daffodils are blooming. Peepers are singing in mass numbers, beckoning would-be lovers into the wetlands. New life is everywhere or will soon be. Babies in the barn, birds building nests...it all feels so ripe and ready!

2 comments:

Eleanor said...

I knew it would come...I'm looking forward to my next visit, which I hope will be in June. Actually, I'm yearning for it more than ever, reading your description.
Eleanor

Elena G. said...

Ah! Chilly tonight though...forecast of snow, but everything is so suddenly green that the snow won't last long at all. Happy Spring Eleanor!