Thursday, December 30, 2010

Long Screws are Good Screws

Living in a very old house covered in plaster and lathe, it has taken me months and dozens of ping pong sized holes in my walls, to figure out how to hang things around here.

Two words. Long screws.

2 1/2 to 3 inch wood screws to be exact.

Once I figured out where my studs were (that stud finder was worth the $12.95 + tax, I paid at the general store), fitted my cordless drill with a 5/25 wood drill bit to get things started, then a standard philips head to really drive things home, I had the deep satisfaction of screwing in the screws and hanging various pieces kicking around my house for a year. Yes, you read that right. A whole year.
 
In 30 minutes, I hung up two huge, antique mirrors, a primitive wooden art landscape and a long needed set of coat hooks for our winter clothes that is so tightly fastened into the wall, that no matter who hangs on it, that baby is not coming out.

Yep. Long screws are good screws.

And don't think I don't know where your mind went when you first read the title.

Next up. Learning how to use toggle bolts so I can screw anything I want, anywhere I want.

No comments: