Friday, December 10, 2010

Cold

I welcome the sunlight this morning. The days of dark have been unforgiving, so the gold glow through the shade on my window is encouraging, but I am not fully convinced it is worth climbing out of my warm bed.

Outside it is cold. Not just a chill, but a deep, sub-zero freeze that has hardened the exposed ground, solidified the ponds, changed the very sound of the snow underfoot. The floorboards of my house are icy, thus I am snuggled, fully clothed for work, under my down comforter while I work up the courage to climb out from under this warmth and adorn myself with wool socks, boots, mittens, scarf and hat. Of course, once i do that, I'm pretty sure I'll need to go to work, where there is no warm woodstove or furry cats to snuggle.

It is so cold and I am so snuggly and inspired by the light, I wrote this haiku:

snow squeaks underfoot
cold, dark stillness all around
shafts of light rise east

See? I'm desperate to stay in bed, yet justify a claim of productivity. I want a cup of coffee though. And some hot oatmeal. The tip of my nose is cold.

Each sentence I type is getting harder now, because the heat is turned down to 50 degrees and my fingers are going numb because they are exposed. I've tried typing under the covers, but the typos were ridiculous.


(sigh)...I think it's time. Wish me luck. I'm headed out...


...in about 5 more minutes.



No comments: