Monday, December 12, 2011

Early Morning Yoga + Wood Stove = Good Life

The full moon is setting into the western sky as the morning light begins to wash the dark in pale blue. It is a beautiful morning. Windless. Cold. The wood stove is hot and I am feeling satisfied after spending the better part of an hour, practicing poses in the dark.

Even so, as I write this, I must confess - I am really just watching the clock. I am anticipating the build-up of a typical Monday morning with sleepy kids who will be, inevitably, 5 minutes late, no matter what I do.

I will help the littlest one seek out her good wool socks that are hiding in a pant leg somewhere tricky. I will help the oldest by keeping the younger ones out of the bathroom for 10 minutes so she can do whatever mysterious, private thing she needs to do every single morning. I will help the middle-est throughout, redirecting him when he is distracted by a book or his Legos or by watching the wool carpet pill up on the edges. As the hands creep toward 8 o'clock, I will gather permission slips and homework, backpacks, instruments, lunches, jackets and boots, head out the door and over the hill to deposit my offspring, one by two, so that they may learn.

Then, and only then, will I let out my breath while I drive to work on the winding Route 14, watching for still waters and ice on the lake and replaying the morning in my mind.

Then, and only then, will I remember to appreciate the good life of early morning yoga in front of a wood stove followed by the joyful chaos of children and life.

Then, and only then, will I look forward to doing it all over again - tomorrow.

No comments: