Monday, March 28, 2011

Back to Square One

I am still in bed, much to my alarm clock's disgust.

It's been 2 months since I've done a yoga practice. My body feels stiff, cold and soft. Still tentative after hurting my back in January, the process of healing has been painfully slow and depressing. Now, as I lay in bed taking in the cold, weak morning light through my window, I am tempted to snuggle back down into the covers and pretend I will begin tomorrow.

But I shouldn't. I won't.

It's been a long winter. A mixture of sadness and joy, stress, pain, exhilaration. Now it's time to ignore the chilly air and unfold my tired body from the self-imposed confines of warmth and softness. I will pad down to the wood stove and unroll my long-ignored mat, wiping the sleep from my eyes. I will begin slowly as I stretch to the sky, bend to the earth and will my numb fingers to grip with purpose.

It's a start, anyway.

No comments: