Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Apologies to Oscar Wilde

Here is the To Do list I had for today:
  1. Wake up early (before the kids) for a run
  2. Wash, dry, sort, fold and put away five loads of laundry
  3. Stack wood on the porch
  4. Clean the basement of webs
  5. Pick up the house
  6. Put in the storm doors and prep the storm windows
  7. Rake the perennial beds and put away the garden hoses
Here's what I actually did:
  1. Woke up late and practiced yoga with the girls. The boy participated too, but his version incorporated the military stances of imaginary aliens and then pretending to kung-fu fight us girls while we stood in tree pose. What can I say? He's imaginative.
  2. Washed, dried and sorted TWO loads of laundry. Forget folding and putting them away...totally overrated. The brown chair does a great job of corralling loose articles of clothing.
  3. Eyeballed the wood to be stacked. Eyeballed the porch where said wood was to be stacked. Became distracted by something else entirely.
  4. I have a basement?
  5. Began to straighten up house until the boy fell to the ground in utter despair after I "wrecked" a Lego spaceship by plopping it his Lego box. The girls fared no better when I ruined their "Beauty Spa" by grabbing an oddly placed bowl in the living room and dumping the green-colored contents into the toilet. I fixed the Lego ship and made up a new batch of "Beauty Spa". That was the end of picking up the house as I figured I better stop while I was ahead. Fixed a cup of tea and read a magazine instead.
  6. Storm windows and doors are in the basement. See #4 above.
  7. Spent the afternoon on a glorious walk around a lake-like pond. Enjoyed the crunch of leaves, the quiet of the water, the chatter of children and the conversation of a friend. Watched the sun set in a jaw-dropping show. Decided the garden, and everything else on the list, could wait one more day.
"It is always with the best intentions that the worst work is done." - Oscar Wilde

No comments: